Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Licensed attorney in private practice.
7286322

Can naturalized Americans get veteran stays when they served

Customer Question

Can naturalized Americans get veteran stays when they served in a NATO Army?
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: not yet, I became American and was German, served in the West-German Army###-##-####
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No necessarily
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Ely replied 23 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry, but no. Under Title 38 of the Code of Federal Regulations, US veteran status is available to those who served in any of armed forces for the United States, only. So it does not include foreign armies which were allied with the US under NATO or any other type of mutual treaty.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.