How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 33911
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son in law left for a one year post in Korea and never

Customer Question

My son in law left for a one year post in Korea and never gave my daughter any of his BAH or any other steady support for her or their two daughters. They have been living with us for a year and a half, during which time she divorced him due to his ongoing affair with a fellow soldier in Korea.
We have been supporting them the entire time while she completed her degree, and he used his housing allowance to buy his girlfriend an engagement ring. Can I sue him for our expenses?
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 months ago.

Can you tell me, has your daughter raised this issue with his command?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They know he's in arrears but don't know he wasn't supporting her while he was in Korea. The finance office at ft Carson based their estimation of his payment solely on his base salary, and it's less than half the court ordered amount.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 months ago.

Can you tell me, is he Army?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what we have spent has never been raised, either in court or with his command.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 months ago.

Thank you
I have some thoughts and will type them up...a few mins please...

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your patience.

First, and foremost, I would urge you to take a look here

This is the regulation that applies. If you take a look at chapter 2, it details the requirements for a soldier to support their dependent(s).

Now…it is important to understand that in order to enforce this regulation, your daughter needs to contact his commander and explain to his commander what is going on (that he is not providing support). The commander can then order he follow the rules within the regulation.

As for your question, can you sue him? Perhaps…IF you had a contract with him and he is not following the contract? You could sue to enforce the contract…but you would have the burden of proof….you have to prove the specifics of any contract you had with him before you can get a court to order he pay you.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 months ago.

Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding