P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I finished my 4 year active duty contract and I signed a

Customer Question

I finished my 4 year active duty contract and I signed a national guard contract to reclass to a different mos. I am currently waiting to go to AIT again in February 2017. I have reported to my gaining unit, but I have not gone to any drills yet nor have I been paid. My commute is 4 hours to the unit. Is there a way to cancel this contract and transfer to the IRR instead?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry to be the one to bear bad news. There is no way for you to unilaterally cancel the contract.

You can certainly make a request to your commander to be released to the IRR...but the National Guard has discretion (so they are not required to release you, despite the long travel time)

Again, I am sorry to be the one to bear bad news.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.