LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I need to report my fathers passing, who do I contact?

Customer Question

I need to report my fathers passing, who do I contact ?
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: No he has been retired since 1962
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Would like to know if his widow eligable for his retirement ?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Was your father receiving any VA or military retirement benefits at the time of his passing? If so, what benefits?

2. Was your father receiving any social security benefits when he died?

Doug

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He was receiving all 3.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can't afford the 59.00.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Not a problem, you don't have to accept the call. I'll work up your answer for you now.

Doug

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How long does this usually take ?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon,

You will need to notify the VA, the military and Social Security of your father's passing.

You can call social security at ***-***-**** or you can stop by the local social security office and let them know that he passed. You will need his social security number when you make the report.

You will need to fill out a Notification of Death Fast Form for the military pension. Here is a link to the site where you can do this: http://www.dfas.mil/dfas/retiredmilitary/survivors/Retiree-death.html

Finally, you can contact the VA at the Department of Veterans Affairs' Telephone Assistance Service at(###) ###-####

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there any death benefits of life insurance ?
And also retired civil service. Who should I contact there?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Unless you are a surviving spouse, no, there are no death benefits.

"Civil service" who? The feds, the state, an entity in the state?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
feds
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Thanks,

If he worked for the federal government, then you would contact the Office of Personnel Management. Here is a link to that site: https://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/my-annuity-and-benefits/life-events/death/report-of-death/

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Doug

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
not today thanks
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your kind words. They are very much appreciated. Unfortunately, your gratitude alone is not sufficient for me to be compensated for my having assisted you.

Please understand that in order for me to be credited, and paid, for having helped you, I need for you to positively rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars located on your answer page---preferably 5-stars. It is that easy.

Thanks in advance.

I wish you the best,

Doug