Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
20011183

I don't agree with army anymore, I don't want to fight or

Customer Question

I don't agree with army anymore, I don't want to fight or kill anyone, it's not just in my eyes. I want out before it gets too late and I have to hurt someone
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: Overseas in Korea
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: No, I don't trust my chain of command, I feel they'll screw me over. I also have a curved spine that I dunno is medboard worthy or not
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Negative
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Getting out based on being a conscientious objector is really very difficult. Now days, they tend to move you into a non-combat job rather than allowing the separation.

That being said, sometimes the command chooses to separate someone. You need to go to your chaplain and explain the reason that you are now suddenly a conscientious objector (CO). It should be some life events, news story or something that changed your mind about the issue.

Your chaplain can then start pushing for CO status and your command will make their decision. That's all you can really do here.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I used to agree, and be gung ho about it, but being away from it, seeing the news, and talking to my friend who's a vet, it really changed my mind about it and took the blinders off

I understand your point certain. While I sympathize, it doesn't really alter the legal response here.

As I noted before, you have one method available to you. The myths of "loopholes" for separation are just that, myths. If you want to be separated, you need to go through the chaplain.