P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I am a soldier at Fort sill, OK. I have completed basic

Customer Question

Hello, I am a soldier at Fort sill, OK. I have completed basic training but am now a holdover. I went to CBHS two times, week 5 and 7, and was cleared for a chapter 11 both times. I was held over because I was supposed to be getting chaptered, but now my commander just wants to send me to ait because I have completed enough training and he thinks I will be a financial burden on my sister whom I live with. Is there anything I can do? Can I refuse to go to ait? I'm having my sister call to try and convince him that I will not be a burden, and that I can use scholarships I have on hold still to go to college. I just really think the military is not for me. I am just too emotionally distressed.
JA: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?
Customer: I'm in oklahoma at Fort sill. I have been counseled for the chapter by drill sergeant and liason sergeant. I'm not sure how much further the paperwork has gone.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: I also really don't want to train for my mos, a 68w. It's not anything I thought it would be from what I've learned from people at basic and online. I'd rather just go to college instead of be at Sam houston for 5 months. I feel like I am just wasting more of the army's money. I feel so trapped right now. It feels like the only way out is either a negative chapter or suicide.
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this? I'm sorry if I'm reading you wrong here, but it seems as though you might be considering committing suicide or hurting yourself. Am I right?
Customer: I have considered it, and I have not mentioned that to my chain of command. I'm afraid that will keep me here longer and place me under some kind of negative chapter. I think I am supposed to speak wit h my commander again on Monday. He seems set on sending me to ait next weekend, and I really don't want that. I was being held over because I was not to graduate and go to ait, it justill doesn't make sense to me and it has been severely stressing me
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I cannot make a phone call while I am here in the basic training battery. Can I communicate through text with the lawyer?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Are you asking if you can demand the Army release you?