P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

Currently a student at FABOLC and have begun to have a

Customer Question

Currently a student at FABOLC and have begun to have a series of seizures. Took an EEG and it came back with some abnormalities. I don't have a history of epilepsy. I was under ROTC scholarship and was currious as to if I will be responsible for paying the scholarship back and what the MEB process will be
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: like.
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: Stateside. Currently at Fort Sill
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: Yes ma'am all my instructors are tracking but am still enrolled as a student right now. Recently pulled from quarters and was added to a new cycle as a medical recycle.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No ma'am thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I want to make sure I understand. You re currently on active duty at BOLC?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sir, active duty 2LT here at BOLC

There is NO requirement that you repay ROTC money...you completed your end of the bargain (you completed school and obtained a commission). The fact you may go through a MEB will have NO impact on the ROTC scholarship/stipend you received. Period.

The MEB process can vary wildly, depending on many factors. But generally speaking, it works like this.

1. The soldier is identified as having a medical condition that limits their ability to perform their duties. In your case, if the doctors believe your heart issues may impact your service? That would likely result in a MEB.

2. Once the MEB is ordered (the doctors recommend and the command orders), you would be notified.

3. The next step is you would be evaluated (the board will evaluate your medical records and may have you submit to additional testing). If the evaluation confirms a medical issue that limits your ability to perform your duties and it is expected the condition will last a year or more? They will send you to the PEB (physical evaluation board). If the MEB does not reach this finding the case is dismissed.

4. The PEB is designed to determine if the condition was caused by or aggravated by your service. If the PEB determines your condition was caused or aggravated by service, they will assign a "rating"..if the rating is 30% or more you are retired...otherwise you are separated with a severance.

5. The entire process can take from as little as a few months to over a year.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil