Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
20011183

What's the consequence of refusing a deployment? I'm a

Customer Question

Hi there. What's the consequence of refusing a deployment? I'm a reservist
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: Overseas
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: No, I have not, it's one of those questions I'm curious to know about
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, just that specific question
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

If you are talking about a federal deployment, that means that they'd have to place you on Title 10 orders to do so. In those instances you are treated as a full time, active duty member.

Refusing a deployment is a violation of the UCMJ and legally you could be court martialed and imprisoned for refusing a deployment. Now, that is not what usually happens. The more common outcome is a punitive discharge through a discharge board, granting an other than honorable discharge which can remove any potential future VA benefits, make you ineligible for any sort of government job (state or federal) and even hinder civilian employment opportunities.

What happens here though would depend entirely on your command and what they are motivated to do. Commanders determine what action is taken, so it will be determined by your chain of command how far they wish to go.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.