Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
20011183

I just want to know what i have to do to get my assault

Customer Question

i just want to know what i have to do to get my assault charge expunge from my time in service
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: ok
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: colorado
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: I'm out now
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Military Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i have to have it expunge from my record in order to get a correctional officer job and I was needing to know what i have to do to get this taken care of about how long it takes and what i would have to pay
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

There is no such thing as expungement for military convictions or arrests. If there was a conviction, the record is federal and intended to be permanent. The only way to remove it is to receive a presidential pardon through the Department of Justice.

https://www.justice.gov/pardon

If you were not actually convicted through court martial, you'd have to attempt to have the record changed through the military records corrections board DD Form 149. Your argument would be that it is an injustice for it to be in the record when no conviction took place.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.