Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.

My estranged husband claims to have been a NavySEAL, veteran

Hi! My estranged husband claims to have been a NavySEAL, veteran of the 1st Gulf War (Desert Storm ). I have his DD-214, but blocks 23-29, I'm having difficulty understanding. I understand "conviction by general court martial", but is there a way of finding out specifics?
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: States. N.Y.
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: No. I don't know the protocols. ..
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so, just trying to find the specifics behind his discharge

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

The DD Form 214 wouldn't have specifics and nothing on it would specifically indicate what the basis for the court martial was. To find that out, you'd have to file an FBI database background check (like an employer might use). When I want a background check done, I'll hire a local private detective or paralegal of a defense counsel's office.

You can attempt to do them yourself online also.

A general court martial conviction is a federal conviction and would require the creation of a public record.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
P.S. I know he's lying about being a SEAL. That's why I'm looking for specifics...

Again, any such information is going to be in a public record concerning his court martial.

The basis for his separation was likely through the court marital conviction itself and he received a punitive discharge from that court martial.

A background check would reveal the conviction. You could also attempt contacting the national archives to obtain the court martial records themselves, but that is significantly more difficult.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
How difficult to do on-line? I'm not that saavy!! Recommendations on which site to use?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have done an online background check on him ( probably not thorough enough), but surprisingly, NO criminal convictions come up?

That's really getting beyond what I do. Again, I noted that I don't do them online. I hire a local private detective or paralegal from a defense counsel to do it, so that I know it's being done correctly.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok. Thank you for at least pointing me in the right direction!

Take care.