Taylor
Taylor, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
87350578

I have been retired from the army for 16 years. I never

Customer Question

I have been retired from the army for 16 years. I never filed for disability compensation. Can I still do it
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Taylor replied 5 months ago.

hi my name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help! what type of disability compensation are you thinking about filing for?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am not sure... I had foot and knee surgery while in the service... didn't know if that would apply
Expert:  Taylor replied 5 months ago.

has a doctor said that you are at least 10% disabled?

Expert:  Taylor replied 5 months ago.

here are the eligibility requirements:

• Service in the Uniformed Services on active duty, OR
  • Active duty for training, OR
  • Inactive duty training, AND
  • You were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions, AND
  • You are at least 10% disabled by an injury or disease that was incurred in or aggravated during active duty or active duty for training, or inactive duty training
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i have not spoke with a va yep about this yet... didn't want to waist his time if I am not eligible to apply
Expert:  Taylor replied 5 months ago.

it sounds like you should definitely apply. it is no problem that you retired 16 years ago. as long as you had an honorable discharge and are 10% disabled bc of something that happened during your service. does that make sense?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I suppose my next step is finding out where to apply. My only fear is it messing with my retirement pay
Expert:  Taylor replied 5 months ago.

have i adequately answered your questions? let me know if there is anything further i can do for you! here is how you can apply:

There are numerous ways to apply for VA disability benefits depending on the type of benefit you are seeking:

Expert:  Taylor replied 5 months ago.

once you are satisfied with my answers i would greatly appreciate a positive rating! remember a positive rating does NOT cost you anything further and it is the only way i am compensated by JA!

Expert:  Taylor replied 5 months ago.

do you have any more questions i can answer for you or anything i can do to ensure a positive rating?

Expert:  Taylor replied 5 months ago.

hello?