How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 116191
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was wondering if I could text my 1st SGT about getting an

Customer Question

Hi- I was wondering if I could text my 1st SGT about getting an honorable discharge and rejoin after 6 months? Is it possible?
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: Overseas
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: No- i was just going to go straight to my 1st sgt because my sgt doesn't care
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, once you have signed a contract, it is not like employment in the private sector or going to school where you can just quit and come back as you feel. It is not that your Sgt. does not care, your Sgt. cannot give you a discharge and you are not entitled to discharge until your contract is over. Your 1st Sgt cannot give you a discharge either and contacting them would get you the same result you get from your Sgt. You cannot just ask to get out and come back later, that is not how the military works and once in you are stuck until the end of your commitment time I am afraid.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Let me explain more; the mos I'm in I have been assigned to because I failed my first mos. I want to send him this message :Hi First SGT. I just want to ask for an honorable discharge. I tried my best to stick with this job, but I'm not doing the job that I came in for and to be honest-I know I can do better at a different job.If there's any possible way I could get out honorably and wait the 6 months to get back in with a different mos within the military. I would be a million times more motivated to be in the army.You can ask for a general discharge and get it upgraded
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
You can ask for a general discharge? This has happened in Ait and other times that I know people have done it..
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, this is not like the civilian world you are used to. You sadly cannot just quit and come back because you dislike your assignment. AIT or failure in training is a ground to ask for general discharge, you are beyond that point now I am afraid and you cannot just say "I want to quit and go home," unlike failing AIT and basic.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay, so the only way I can get out of this mos is to fail pt tests or mess up on purpose. If I fail pt tests and get discharged fot that eventually would I be able to rejoin if I passed a new pt test after 6 months?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your reply.

That is not a great way to get out and there is no guarantee they will take you if they put you out on a general or less than honorable Also, failing PT does not get you a discharge, it gets you put into a program to force you to get into shape and they will make your life miserable for 6 months before considering a less than honorable discharge.

Failing out is not how to make a change, excelling and putting in for more training and getting a transfer out eventually is how most people get away from a MOS you do not enjoy or like.

Related Military Law Questions