Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Im an army soldier that was secretly filmed during my pt

Customer Question

Hi there Im an army soldier that was secretly filmed during my pt test as I neared failure on my pushups. The video was later posted to a public social media site of which several individuals were ablie to identify me and mock me. Note it was note my cdr or 1sg that posted this.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, your only recourse is that you have to file a complaint through your chain of command, since as an active duty army member, you cannot sue the army or your commanders in civil court under the Feres Doctrine. So the only recourse you have here is filing a complaint to your base command up the chain of command above your CDR or 1sgt.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What kind of a complaint would it be and on what grounds?

Thank you for your reply.

For publishing unauthorized video,. That is the only complaint you can make, since the Army owns you, there is no right to real privacy like in civil***** *****fe. So they are in violation if they took and published unauthorized video.