P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I was given a 6105 for not getting my tan tab sowed onto my

Customer Question

I was given a 6105 for not getting my tan tab sowed onto my green belt. The Sgt came to me in a rude and disrespectful way , called me names and yelled at me. I was given the chance to correct it but I had forgotten to get it done. I work hard and I tend to forget the little things. The SNM on the other hand did not go through the proper counseling procedures as listed in the USMC User's Guide to Counseling and the MCO 1610.12, but instead is giving me a 6105. I am making a rebuttal to this situation because it does not seems fair to what the SNM is doing to me. I am wondering if I am wrong to make the rebuttal and if the SNM is also wrong for his way of handling junior Marines.
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: overseas
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: Yes. I spoke to my peers and my Sgt who is in charge of me. The SNM above works in a different shop.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of at the moment
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Wrong to make a rebuttal?

Marine, it is your right to submit a rebuttal. It will be placed on the left hand side of your SRB. It could serve to give others some insight into your side of this.

So not wrong.

Though, frankly, not sure it will have much positive impact...the 6105 "is what it is". It is in your record...and there is no way for you to remove it. But at the same time, it is really not a big deal...so long as you do not get any more of them. If you continue to receive formal counseling it will likely lead to your adsep.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.