Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I turned myself in for using a controlled substance. I spent

Customer Question

Hi. I turned myself in for using a controlled substance. I spent the following weeks at a rehab facility of my choice. I've been in 6 years. I'm being charged with article 112A . They are offering reduction of one pay grade , an other than honorable discharge which takes my benefits and of course restriction. I don't want to fight and risk a felony conviction on my civilian record but I hate to lose my benefits. What is the best course of action?
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 30 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, if you do not take the offer, you will be convicted because you turned yourself in and that is all the evidence they need to convict you I am afraid. I know you lose your benefits, but that is at least better for you than having a felony conviction, since you can get a job without a felony conviction and start working on building new benefits. Sadly though, in this situation, your options are not really very many and none of them are very good for you.