Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

My school counselor at the university has failed to certify

Customer Question

My school counselor at the university has failed to certify my attendance and I am not receiving my va educational benefits which has caused a mirage of credit problems. Late pays credit score knocks in addition to poor health due to limited funds for food and now I have shingles. Are the universities and the counselor responsible for not submitting my verification of attendance on time and causing me unbelievable financial harm. Is there a law that sets a time frame as to the federal responsibility of certifying my attendance? Thank you. Carol. Gaudioso
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There is no specific statute specifying the timeframe they have to send it in. They must send in the attendance verification in accordance with the time specified in your VA benefit contract. If your school was negligent in filing the required documents, they are indeed liable to you for all of the damages their negligence caused. Negligence is a common law cause of action which says if someone owes a duty to you, such as the school owed you a duty to submit records as required, and failed to perform or performed in a substandard manner, then they are liable to you for all of the harm they caused you to suffer.
So that would be the basis for you to sue them for damages.