Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.

My grandson just left for boot camp with the Army National

Customer Question

My grandson just left for boot camp with the Army National Guard, but my son in law is in a coma, with a tracheotomy and feeding tube, this happen Sept 5th, 2016. It appears that my son in law will life in that state. We need to get him home my daughter needs his help
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: No we talked to the recutier and he was rude and said to bad if his dads dies call the American Red Cross
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Its just a horrible situation
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

You should contact the American Red Cross. They have the ability to contact soldiers while they are in training and give them information. That information can also be given to his command.

Now, all that said, unless his father passes away, it may be unlikely for a commander to release him. If your daughter is actually unable to take care of herself (medically unable) and only the grandson can do that, then command might release him on a hardship tour. Command can also certainly choose to let him go for short term leave, but what you have to understand about military service is that commander decide when you get to leave, not circumstances.

If his command won't release him, he won't be able to legally leave.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.