P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

Due to family child custody situation, I need to resign my

Customer Question

Due to family child custody situation, I need to resign my Reserve Commission - How quickly can I request for resignation to be effective? this is hardship situation with pending court hearing
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: i'm in SC but this is a Federal position with the US Navy Reserve
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope but is there a charge?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Military Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: ok
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am an attorney with over 20 years experience. Hopefully I can assist you with your question today.
You can request to resign immediately. That said, all resignations must be excepted by the service secretary. For this reason, your request has to go up and be approved by the service secretary or their designee. Further, if you have obligated service, there is no obligation that the secretary your request.
Please let me know if you have more questions. Happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may receive credit