Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
20011183

I am a 100 percent disable veteran. I have paid taxes For

Customer Question

I am a 100 percent disable veteran. I have paid taxes For years. Obama pass the law saying veteran are exempt from paying taxes. How do I get all the money back for all those years I've paid in
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

When laws of this sort are passed, they are just enforceable for the future and not the past. The years you've paid in are already spent and any new taxation law only applies to your future taxes, not your past taxes.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The law were pass in 2009, so why can't I get paid from 2010. I am 78 years old, I been disable for 35 years. I have always sent paperwork in showing that 100percent. I'm not asking them for money before the law pass, I'm asking from the time it was pass

You would need to file an amended tax return for all those years in question, which means you to go to a local tax attorney to assist you in retrieving those paid in taxes.

This is only property tax we're talking about here also, a homestead tax exemption.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
you saying I can file property tax and homestead taxes

It's not a filing really, like income taxes each year.

You'd have to submit a request to your state's taxation department, which is why you'll need to work with a local tax attorney. This isn't something the military can assist with, because the military didn't take your property taxes.