Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Im looking to get out of the marine corps now. my contract

Customer Question

im looking to get out of the marine corps now. my contract doesnt expire until 2019
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: overseas
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: i spoke with my platoon sgt about verping which could get me out up to a year early but because my MOS is high priority right now, they wont let me .
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i want to be finished now. im wondering what the fastet and easiest way would be to do this. I dont want to get a bad conduct or a dishonorable discharge though
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, you are in pretty much an impossible situation. Legally, once you sign the contract with the military, regardless of the branch, they own you and you cannot just walk away (which I am sure you pretty much know already and are likely just hoping there is some better news). If your MOS is high priority, the Corps will not and cannot let you out on VERP as you were told. If you can change your MOS, then it could be possible to qualify for VERP. Other than that, unless you have some medical reason that could qualify you for a medical discharge, you are not going to be eligible for an early out unless they come up with some new program you can qualify under I am afraid to say.