P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

How can I get out of my HPSP contract although I've

Customer Question

How can I get out of my HPSP contract although I've completed medical school?
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I was commissioned in GA, but I went to school in DC.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Nope, I'm just investigating what my options are.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Although I applied to military residency, I was granted civilian deferment, which I am now finishing in OB/Gyn. I initially thought I would be able to apply to the fellwship of my choice, but am now being told that is not allowed. Although, I have already submitted an application and started interviewing.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this? Are you asking if the military can require you to honor the terms of the contract you signed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm asking what are my options for getting out of the contract I signed with the military as now they are preventing me from pursuing my fellowship of choice?