Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
20011183

I am the widow of a retiree and now 80 yrs old with an indef

Customer Question

I am the widow of a retiree and now 80 yrs old with an indef ID card, planning to remarry. Will I lose my Tricare Benefits? Musr I relinquish my ID card?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No Have talked with a lawyer about prenup.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Yes, remarriage would end your Tricare rights, regardless of the age of remarriage. Additionally, the ID card rights would be forfeit based on remarriage, unless you are a retiree yourself or you marry a retiree that would again make you a dependent.

The concept behind survivor benefits is to provide benefits for former spouses while they remain unmarried. Once you remarry, your new spouse becomes responsible for those items and you are no longer covered by Tricare or the ID card right to commissary and px privileges.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.