P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

I'm trying to do the right thing in life and pursue a career

Customer Question

I'm trying to do the right thing in life and pursue a career with the Airforce here in Myrtle Beach SC and I'm running into a snag because my ex refuses to give me my sons social security card my recruiter refuses to process my paper work without it do I have any options ? Even If I don't cover my Son under the military medical care?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Are you asking if you can go to court to get an order to obtain this card? If not what is your question please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I want to be able to enlist. my recuiter is not processing the paper work because I can't get my son's social security card.

Can you tell me, is there a custody order for this child? From which court?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is not one by court order. She basically has full custody over our son. And she has refused any possible manner in letting me use his SSC and I cannot obtain one either because I have no partial custody. So my question is there any way I can get into the military without adding my son on and giving up my rights. Because I do not want to do that.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 month ago.

The military can require this information (actually, they must have it for DEERS...the system that covers dependents of military members...requires this information).

So they can require you produce the information.

The good is possible to get this information.

The bad news? You will need to hire an attorney to file the request with the court. The judge will order this information be produced.

Bot***** *****ne: you can obtain this...hire an attorney licensed in the state where you child lives and they can file this with the court for you

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.