Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.

I was convicted of a felony in 2012 for bad check utter

Customer Question

i was convicted of a felony in 2012 for bad check utter would i be granted a pass for my husbands graduation in fort leonard wood.
Category: Military Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the conviction was in maryland.
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

This is not a federal statutory question or military law imposed answer. By that, I mean that each base and, more importantly, each commander for the bases is empowered to make this determination on a case by case basis. A commander can absolutely choose to allow you on base and absolutely choose not to allow you on base and either result would be legal under the current regulations for base access control as a discretionary function for base commanders.

Unfortunately, there is no method for me to determine what the current commander's predilections are in regard to base access. They don't publish, in an accessible format, their position on the matter.

The only way for you to know the answer here is to apply, because again, it is a case by case determination. I wish I could give you more certainty here, but the law on this matter just doesn't work like that.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.