Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.

Current soldier is beginning army ait training, had

Customer Question

current soldier is beginning army ait training, had difficulty in basic with anxiety and conforming..attended couseling etc, pushed through basci training. Now, symptoms have increased, anxiety, difficulty performing required tasks, difficulty adjusting to military life etc... is there an option if recycling does not work.. if so, what are the options, how does it work, does it feesably culminate with a failure to adapt discharge, general? What if the soldier is to be ait recycled but refuses to train?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Refusing to train is a UCMJ violation and, in many circumstances, results in some punishment and separation with a punitive discharge, which can have a permanent effect on civil***** *****fe.

A better action here is to continue to go to counseling, complete AIT if counseling doesn't result in recommendation for a separation and then push for separation with the new unit. Training units are actually MUCH less likely to go through the process of separating someone than a local unit.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.