Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG
19127644

My daughter got pregnant by a guy in the army when he was on

Customer Question

my daughter got pregnant by a guy in the army when he was on leave. They are not in a relationship. She had the baby and the baby is now 10 months old. Now the dad is trying to. My daughter reluctantly let him be on the birth certificate. I say reluctantly because his mother practically harasses my daughter to watch the baby. My daughter doesn't know this women and the soldiers mother prompts him to always threaten my daughter to take her to court so that she can have visitation. Here in Washington state grandparents have no writes. My daughter got tired of being threaten and decided to get a parenting plan in place with the court. The soldier has been served and they are awaiting mitigation to start. The soldier with holds income information to my daughter and also is trying to say that she that she unreasonably holds the daughter from him. Heres the thing , he doesn't live here in Washington he resides in Alaska, well I should she that he is stationed in Alaska. He has seen the baby a max of 18 days of her entire life. He is just being nasty to my daughter because it is his mother that wants this baby. Is there a code of conduct for military personnel that gets a civilian pregnant out of wedlock?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Although military servicemembers are subject to some rules that civilians are not, this is not one of them. There is nothing criminal, either in the civilian world or the military world about out of wedlock sex or pregnancy unless there is an issue of rape/sexual assault or the mother is not the age of consent when sex occurred. That though has nothing to do with the pregnancy issue, only the underlying conduct.

If there is a court ordered support that the father is not complying with, then she can send that information to his Command and they will counsel him to pay the ordered support. If he doesn't he can be disciplined by the military.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. I will be away from my computer for most of the day but will respond as soon as I can after you reply. If no further assistance is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 6th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.