Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.

Just wondering if it is true that I have to pay the united

Customer Question

Hi just wondering if it is true that I have to pay the united nation military affairs department money to get my refund I have spent nearly $40,000 and they want me to pay the government $9800 before they will send my money back to me and won't let jams my partner to come to me is it true that I have to pay all this money please help me
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

I'm sorry, but what you appear to be describing is a scam.

If you are talking about a military member, there is no fee paid to the United Nations to bring our soldiers home. We do this, with our own funds (the military) and there is no payment required by any civilian.

I'm assuming that you met this "soldier" online, through a social media site, and the relationship has progressed to the point that the soldier asked you for money for separation or travel fees or some official sounding "government" cost.

This is an all too common scam run out of the African nations (because they don't extradite or work with Interpol) by people that have hacked military member accounts, stolen their pictures and then they create multiple accounts using those photos (I've even had my photos used for this purpose, though we caught the people and froze the account before damage was done).

You have certainly not told me all of your facts and you can ask more questions if you like, but I am certain this is a scam.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have more questions how do I get all my money back that I have sent to different people he has also nominated me as his next of kin I need my money back ASAP

You requested an additional service, but that requires an additional payment. We don't need to do that though. We can discuss the matter here.

If you wish to have the additional service though, Customer Service will have to contact you to set that up.

As for getting your money back, you can't. That money is lost in a country that will not cooperation with international efforts to stop the cyber crime. Mostly because the local governments benefit from the crime, receiving kickbacks from the scammers.

Being named next of kin is just part of the scam, to make you feel connected with the fake individual. The person is not real.

You may certainly continue to ask questions here.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.