Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I told an NCO the wrong name due to fact I didn't remember

Customer Question

i told an NCO the wrong name due to fact I didn't remember it and now being charged with article 107 making false statements. I was a name instead of Jo Anne I said Jo Leigh
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: article 15 action
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: adc
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you remembered the name incorrectly then that is not lying to the NCO or making false statements. Article 107 requires them to prove the element of intent, meaning that you intended to lie to the NCO and intentionally gave a false name. So I would strongly suggest that you get with your local JAG for assistance in this to seek to get the Article 15 dropped or to fight it based on that intent component not being present (especially with the name you gave being to close to the real name).