Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

I am being told by a supposed soldier that he lost s id and

Customer Question

I am being told by a supposed soldier that he lost his id and his bank account is frozen and that the military will not pay for his emergency leave
JA: OK. The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this.
Customer: Ok
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Not that I know right now. He's supposed to be based by Kabul Afghanistan named Sargeant Alvarez Alfonzo. He gave me an hotmail email addresses not a military one.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Do not send money. This is an impostor trying to steal from you. If he is in the military he would be prohibited from being on chat lines or revealing his location for security reasons. An active duty soldier also may not reveal their full name to someone they have not met. If you did meet online, all you would ever know would be his first name, never his full name, rank and location. Real soldiers know this - scammers do not.

The Army and others have issued many warnings about fake soldiers on dating and social networking sites:

http://www.cid.army.mil/romance_scam.html

http://www.fakewarriors.org/phonies/phonies1309.htm

http://marriedtothearmy.com/are-you-dating-an-army-soldier-or-a-fake/

If he is in Afghanistan or Nigeria or anywhere else, his address format will be:
Rank, Name
Unit Number
Base, Camp or Embassy name
APO AE 09xxx-xxx
There is never a country name used in mail to military or embassy personnel. It goes to an APO address which is treated as US domestic mail. So if the address you get is different than what is above he is not in the military. For security reasons all mail to military personnel overseas must go through an APO.

Also ask him to email you from his Army email address. If he's in the army his address will be *****@******.*** -- nothing else. Do not believe anyone who says they cannot use their military address for personal email. That's BS. They are supposed to only use their military address when overseas.

Also insist on a Skype chat. All US bases and Embassies have computers with internet access to Skype friends and family back home. If he is emailing you, he can Skype you.

Also if he is on active duty overseas, he is limited to 30 minutes of internet access a week, once a week. He would not be chatting with you daily or several times a week. He would have an assigned 30 minute slot each week to communicate with friends and family at home. Scammers will be on with you several times a week.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Are you online with me?

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.