Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.

I was in the United States Navy. My reentry code is REE 3G.

Customer Question

I was in the United States Navy. My reentry code is REE 3G . How can I get the change ? I'm trying to join the Coast Guard
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: New York
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Getting an RE code changed is rather difficult. You have to prove that the RE code is an error or that it was an injustice to receive it.

To do so, you have to file a DD Form 149 with the military records corrections board for the branch issuing the discharge. The board will be located on the DD Form itself, so you don't have to worry about looking them up.

Complete the form and explain why the RE code should be changed.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.