Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
20011183

I'm am looking about how I can clear or expunge a criminal

Customer Question

I'm am looking for information about how I can clear or expunge a criminal military record. I was convicted under a GCM. I was given 6 months and a BCD. This was back in 1994. I'm 42 now. I have a family. I worked hard to get a Masters for my career. The problem is its hard to have to explain this over and over again when I am applying for new jobs. My convection was for the use and distribution of LSD and Marijuana. I was facing 22 years and plea bargened that down to 1 year. I'm sorry for what happens, but really haven't I paid the price? Am I going to be punished for the rest of my life for being an irresponsible kid? What can I do?
JA: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine. OK. The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not in a long time.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Well, I am not sure what to say. It just seems that there should be a way to put this behind me. Am I going to be branded for the rest of my life?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as expungement for a federal conviction, be it a military conviction or civilian federal conviction. There simply is not an expungement process established and the convictions are intended to be permanent.

The only option for those in the military carrying a conviction is the pardon process through the President. You have to submit a request for presidential pardon through the Department of Justice and, unfortunately, few of these are ever granted without political connections.

https://www.justice.gov/pardon

While I certainly understand not wanting to be branded, and also recognize the difficulty of being permanently branded based on a conviction from such a young age, this is unfortunately the status quo for all felony level convictions and federal convictions in this country.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.