Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG

I'm being extorted, Montana, No, I'm in the military, Also

Customer Question

I'm being extorted for money
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Montana
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I'm in the military
JA: OK. The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this.
Customer: Also they are extorting me with a nude photo of myself
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 3 months ago.

Can you please tell me what your legal question is? Also, I need to know the details behind what you refer to as being "extorted" for money. In other words, how, by whom (no name just whether or not they are military (rank compared to yours), why, etc.). In other words I need enough details to be able to put your question in context once you ask it.

I will be away from my computer for a bit this morning, but will get back to you as soon as I can once you respond.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My legal question is will I face charges if a nude photo is posted of me
She's blackmailing me into paying her not to post it and I think I'll be kicked out of the army if she does
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They have no rank they are civilian I believe

Thank you for the question, however, I still need some clarification. Where was the photo posted to begin with and why does this person think they can extort you? Are they underage, were you wearing a piece of military uniform (how do they know you are in the military?)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The photo was posted on kik and im wearing dog tags in it and they think they can extort me because if I don't pay they will post it on facebook and other social media

Thank you. First, to address what they are doing. It is, as you might suspect, illegal. So, you might turn the table and threaten to file a criminal complaint with the FBI for extortion against them. Also, to address the money issue, there is no guarantee that if you were to pay, they wouldn't post the photo anyway. Therefore, that is something to keep in mind as well.

On the military side of the house, a nude photo that clearly identifies you as a servicemember can result in your involuntary separation, or at the very least disciplinary action. It doesn't always happen, but in the past many female servicemembers were separated for posing nude for various publications in a manner that identified them as military. Men aren't treated any differently. That said, there is a chance that if you can get the photo taken down right away and your command is very supportive of you, that you will not be disciplined, but that is entirely up to your COC. There is definitely though a basis for discipline/separation as it considered service discrediting.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if you have them. If none, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How would I file a criminal complaint with the FBI

You just contact the office closest to you and tell them that you are being extorted over the internet. In other words, just report the facts to them and tell them you want to file a criminal complaint. It is up to them to decide how far they take the investigation, but you have the right to at least report it. Here's a link for more information:

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any further follow up questions for me from the answers I provided to you on the 3rd. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not received your rating.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.