Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.

Behavioral Health told me that they pushed a suggestion

Customer Question

Behavioral Health told me that they pushed a suggestion for a Chapter 5-17 to my command, but my command denied it. My command hasn't notified me of this. Legally, do they have to? Is their anyway I can open my case back up to maybe a MEB?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: AK
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No that I can think of, no.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

No, they don't legally have to inform you. Behavioral health doesn't have the legal authority to initiate a separation, so there actually is nothing legally that took place. Your command didn't "deny" a separation that was initiated. Instead, they simply chose not to initiate a separation that was suggested to them.

In the military commanders initiate separations. They only have to inform you when they choose to initiate one...not when they choose to refrain from initiating one.

You can make a request to have an MEB started, but that has to be initiated by medical. You can ask, but you can't compel that it happen.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.