Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.

If i havent signed a article 15 paperwork and im supposed to

Customer Question

If i havent signed a article 15 paperwork and im supposed to leave tonight at midnight to go to my next duty station and im not red flagged, do i still have to stay where i am until the article 15 paperwork is filled out so i can sign it? Or can i get my leave orders and leave?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

That depends entirely on whether the commander has completed a legal hold to make sure your situation is handled before you leave.

If not, then you'll be under a new command who will have to decide what punishment you'll actually serve out.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The commander hasnt did that. Im not red flagged or anything and im supposed to leave tonight at midnight. So is there anyway i could leave?

If you have legitimate leave paperwork, then yes, unless you've been told by command to wait.

A verbal order carries as much weight as a written one.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.