How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 13973
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was wondering if a dishonorable discharge could be changed

Customer Question

I was wondering if a dishonorable discharge could be changed or reversed?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, the situation is my boyfriend joined the military at 18, he made a mistake at 23 by smoking cannabis and was let go. He's now 26 trying to become a police officer but no luck.
JA: OK. The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this.
Customer: How do I go about getting a military lawyer?
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: That's it. He knows he made a mistake. He even got recommendations letters from his higher ups after he was let go because other than that mistake he was great at his job
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

A dishonorable discharge can ONLY be awarded at a general court martial (military version of felony trial)

Did he go to a court martial?

Or was he separated administratively?

Related Military Law Questions