P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

I just found out that I will get uncharacterized chapter

Customer Question

I just found out that I will get uncharacterized chapter 5-11.
I obtained a citizenship through MAVNI program and people are saying that USCIS will revoke my citizenship because my discharge type is uncharacterized instead of honorable. Will USCIS revoke my citizenship because I got uncharacterized chapter 5-11 discharge?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Sorry...I want to make sure I are currently a citizen? You completed the MAVNI program?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I already obtained my citizenship when I graduated from Basic training. I am currently a citizen.
I got injured two days before BCT graduation and was not able to shipped to AIT. I waited at my BCT unit for like a month while my EPTS chapter5-11 paperwork was processed.
What do you mean by completed MAVNI program?

I wanted to ensure you have completed the program (obtained your citizenship)

Not sure who is telling you otherwise, but if you have citizenship, that chapter 11 processing is not going to impact it. They can kick you out of the Army but they can not take away your citizenship

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if I have my citizenship, they will not going to revoke my citizenship whether I got uncharacterized chapter 5-11 or honorable chapter 5-11? Is chapter 5-11 is same as chapter 11?
People said that because I got uncharacterized rather than honorable seperation type.
It mean that seperation type doesn't matter. I think when I was looking at USCIS homepage, it said that if I get any type other than honorable discharge, it said they may revoke my citizenship.

What is the underlying basis for the chapter 11?