P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

I am interested in joining the US Army through Mavni

Customer Question

I am interested in joining the US Army through Mavni program. I am in touch with the recruiter. I live in New Jersey. I wanted to know if I am eligible for the enlistment. I am getting mixed answers from recruiters and forms. I was arrested for Domestic Violence last year because of my wife. The state filed a complaint not my wife. i was arrested and finger printed. I did anger mangement course suggested by the prosecutor for a month. All my charges were dismissed and the case did not go to the trial. There was no deal/ conviction made in any way to get the case dismissed. Later on I got the arrest expunged. even my arrest has been cleared from FBI data base. I have told this to my recruiter. They did a police check and found that I was arrested but when they did the court check there is not a single thing to be found. I called the court and even provided the complaint number of my arrest. They clearly told me there is nothing in the system. I really want to join the army. I wanted to know what to mention in the forms about my arrest and recruiter told me there might be a problem if u show u were arrested but no documents found in the court system. I want to be honest about it as I never did anything wrong also I have filled for my divorce several months ago. Me n my wife have been separated for several months and the divorce will be finalized in June. I have been in US since 2008 and never had any problem with the law. PLease suggest me how can I move forward as I know MEPS councellor will ask me question about it. I Really appreciate your time and help.
JA: OK. The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this. Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: New jersey
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Military Lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.
I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this? Are you asking the process to request a waiver for this?