Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My fiancé is currently in basic training and is supposed to

Customer Question

My fiancé is currently in basic training and is supposed to graduate and leave to be stationed July 1st, but he realized he made a mistake on joining the Army and wants to leave the Army. How do we go about that?
JA: OK. The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this. Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No not yet, that was my last resort if I couldn't find out what to do.
JA: Is there anything else the Military Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: No that's it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, his options are not very many and not very good. Once he showed up to Basic Training, he is committed to his contractual agreement and he cannot just decide it is not for him and quit. In order for him to get out he is going to have to fail basic training and receive an other than honorable discharge, which would follow him around to jobs and even renting places to live and could stop him from getting hired or renting.

He cannot just quit. If he fails training, he would be discharged with a dishonorable discharge and that is the only way out other than if he gets injured and gets a medical discharge.