ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Military personnel deployed over in Syria, afganastan, do

Customer Question

Military personnel deployed over in Syria, afganastan, do they buy their way out or have to pay for their leave or airfair home and no access to their money? So a girlfriend, spouse or feiance send the money to them security reasons can't get money themselves, so deplomat will collect funds sent through western union or moneygram makes sure the soldier receives the monies sent.?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

No, no no. Military members don't have to pay for their leave or transportation to/from deployment. This is called the "military leave scam". It's generally romantic in nature, but sometimes the scammers target elderly individuals that were in the military a long time ago or elderly military spouses, that might not know how things run now. But simply Google "military leave scam" and you'll find many pages that will say essentially the same thing.

Here's a warning from the Army itself: https://www.army.mil/article/130861/Army_investigators_warn_public_about_romance_scams/

Here's an explanation about how the scam works: http://www.male-scammers.com/blog/index.php/military-leave-scam-scenario/

The point is that military members do NOT have to pay any processing fees or transportation costs to get them back stateside. Anyone that claim as much is lying. Now they could still be in the military (they probably are not), but any money would not go to paying these fictitious "fees" or transportation costs.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the truth. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Furthermore, Western Union / Moneygram is used because they're essentially untraceable. Anyone with the number can pick up the money. If you were to insist upon sending money to an "APO" box (a box that is in the control of the military) I bet they would come up with some reason that you shouldn't do that. The point is that this is a scam, through and through. Again, Google "military leave scam" and you'll find a number of websites that will explain this more fully.

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (~30 minutes and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it 3 or more stars (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you that's it only the fee of 59.00 will be billed to my card its the only question I have no further questions or billing thank you
Jo white

Then please rate this answer so that it will close out and that I'll get credit for the time and effort spent on the answer. You should see 5 stars on your screen. Please click on the appropriate rating. Thanks!

(and so long as you didn't sign up for the subscription, yes, that's a one time fee). Can you see on your screen where to rate?

Hello?

Are you still there?

Again, I do have to assist others. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or higher. It's only then I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

Hello???

I see that you STILL have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!