Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I am currently in AIT and in the California National Guard,

Customer Question

Hi I am currently in AIT and in the California National Guard, while being here I realized that it isn't for me. I have 3 weeks left and have just thought about quitting when I get home. I just don't know how to go about doing it. I have thought about just not reporting for my first drill when I arrive home.
JA: OK. The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this. Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: I'm currently in Fort Lee, VA but my unit will be at home in California
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Military Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, once you went through BCT and are now in AIT, you have committed to fulfill your contract you signed and it is not like a job where you can just walk away. You would need some reason for a good cause discharge, like a medical discharge. If you simply do not show up to drill, they will have you for going AWOL and you can get a bad conduct discharge or other than honorable discharge and that can disqualify you for future employment and even from future student loans.

What you need to think about if you dislike what you are doing, is seeking to change your MOS and going into another specialty. Otherwise, you are stuck with the contract you are signed and unless you can qualify for a medical discharge, you have to fulfill that contract or face discipline and consequences that can follow you for the rest of your life.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ELS is entirely impossible?

Thank you for your reply.

Unless you are a problem soldier ELS is not really an option, not after BCT.