Blake
Blake, Lawyer
Experience:  Counsel at Warningstar Intelligence
92344813

OUR DAUGHTER, CHRISTINA L. YENS HAD HER LAST I.D. CARD

Customer Question

OUR DAUGHTER, CHRISTINA L. YENS HAD HER LAST I.D. CARD RENEWED IN JUNE, 2012. SHE IS ON DISABILITY AND SSI. THE LAST HOSPITAL SHE WAS RELEASED FROM WAS MAY 12,2016, AND HER SS CARD, MILITARY I.D. CARD WAS NOT IN THE RETURN OF HER PERSONAL EFFECTS, AND THE HOSPITAL SAID THAT THEY DID NOT HAVE THEM, SO WE TOOK HER ON THE 13TH OF MAY TO THE I.D. RENEWAL OFFICE AT FORT KNOX TO HAVE HER GET A NEW CARD. THEY GAVE US A PACKET CONSISTING ONE DD FORM 1172-2 AND 5 DD FORM 137-5 TO FILL OUT AND SEND TO DFAS IN INDIANAPOLIS. WHEN SHE GOT HER LAST RENEWAL, WE NEVER FILLED OUT ANY FORMS LIKE THIS THAT WANT TO KNOW INCOME AND EXPENSES OF OURS AND HERS, AND HER CARD THAT EXPIRES THAT HAD TO HAVE BEEN STOLEN AT THE HOSPITAL STATES THAT IT EXPIRES MAY 31,2052. WE GOT COPIES OF HER CARD FROM THE HOSPITAL HERE IN TOWN. WHY DO THEY NEED TO KNOW ALL THIS INFORMATION ON HER INCOME AND OURS AND WHAT WE DO WITH OUR MONEY. DOES THIS MEAN THAT IF WE DON'T FILL THIS OUT THAT SHE CAN'T GET A CARD? WHY ALL OF A SUDDEN DO THEY HAVE TO HAVE IT, AND WHEN AND BY WHOM WAS THIS SUDDENLY A MATER TO THE GOVERNMENT, OR IS THIS A NEW FORM OF OBAMA CARE?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Are you asking if the DoD can require she provide this information?

Expert:  Blake replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a practicing attorney in New York City and a graduate of the ***** ***** University Law School in Washington, DC. I am very sorry to hear that you are having so much difficulty getting your daughter's card renewed.

Before we go any further, I would like to thank your family for their service to our country. It is a shame that you are being forced to go through so much paperwork in order to get what you have rightfully earned and truly deserve.

Now, to answer your question: Yes, unfortunately, you do have to fill out all of the information the forms are requesting, including the financial information. Here is a link to a very helpful website which should give you some tips on filling out the forms: http://www.dfas.mil/militarymembers/SecondaryDependency/SDC/secondarydependency_Army/help_Army.html

The Armed Forces constantly re-visits its policies and requirements for all forms and documentation. These forms were last updated in 2014, which was two years after you last applied for a card for your daughter. So, unfortunately, the forms have changed since the last time you applied.

Obamacare pertains to all Americans, but it really only affects civilians and has no practical affect on military families who are covered by TRICARE. The only form that Obamacare really affects for military families is the extra form you will receive every year (just like every other American) which you will need to send in with your taxes to show that you have some kind of health insurance.

So, no, Obamacare is not the culprit in this case. In this case it is good old fashioned US-Military bureaucracy. Did you know that the expression "red tape" actually comes from the Civil War? Back in those days the military would use red tape to hold together soldiers' files in the military offices. So whenever a soldier wanted to claim their benefits they would literally have to cut through a lot of red tape in order to complete the process.

If you are having any trouble filling the forms out on your own, you should speak with an attorney as soon as possible. As I hope you already know, there are many free legal resources available for veterans. I myself used to work at the Yale University Veterans' Legal Clinic and I would highly recommend them: https://www.law.yale.edu/studying-law-yale/clinical-and-experiential-learning/our-clinics/veterans-legal-services-clinic

However, they are very busy so you should first try to contact your local Kentucky Veterans Legal Aid resources here: http://kyjustice.org/veterans-legal-services

The hotline for the Legal Aid Network of Kentucky Veterans Assistance is: 1-844-268-0VET (1-***-***-****)

You should call this number right away if you need any help with this, or any other legal matter.

Again, I thank your family for its service. If there is anything in this answer you would like me to clarify please let me know and I will be happy to respond. I wish you all the best in this matter.

Sincerely,

Blake

___________________________________________________________________________________

Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time in answering your question. I am available to answer follow-up questions or to clarify this answer. Positive feedback or a bonus is always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: Sometimes we receive your question before we receive your additional "optional information". If my answer does not appear to consider your optional information, please let me know as I was probably not able to view it when your question was first received.