LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.

Can a divorced spouse keep Tricare if they remarry at age 55

Customer Question

can a divorced spouse keep Tricare if they remarry at age 55 or over?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon Lisa,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Unlike social security benefits that in some instances allow a person to keep a benefit if they remarry after age 60, TRICARE makes no such allowance.

If you are the surviving spouse of a military member, or the ex-spouse of a military member, and you remarry, regardless of the age that you remarry at, you will lose your TRICARE benefits.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,