P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

Is there any way CSRS retiree to pay back their military

Customer Question

Is there any way for a CSRS retiree to pay back their military time following retirement?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. What do you mean "pay back military time"?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry I am looking for someone very familiar with Federal retirements and the military deposit required for their time. Catch 62

I am familiar with the program...but I do not understand how your question relates...did you "buy out" your retirement? If so when.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am retired and I did not pay for my military time based on an estimated amount My check would be reduced, however the amount is double. I think they estimated on FERs instead of CSRS. So I am wanting to know if there is any way to pay the deposit now?

I agree that FERS and CSRS are different programs. Did you contact DFAS to waive your retired pay? That is, you mention an estimated amount...is this from DFAS? Or OPM?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OPM sent a letter, saying my check would be reduced starting 7-1-2016 and I have that 30 days to respond to, also they say they over paid me for the last 11 months based on this change. So if I can find a way to pay the deposit both things would be taken care of. Do you think there is an avenue to pay the deposit

The way this is supposed to work (for CSRC) is you go to DFAS and waive the appropriate amount through DFAS. Did you do this (contact DFAS) prior to retirement?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I signed the papers saying I was not paying the deposit, however I do believe that was based on incomplete information . I think the estimate was wrong, not sure how to prove it

Thanks

If you signed with DFAS, then it is DFAS that would reduce (waive) your pay...is that happening (is DFAS waiving pay) or is OPM taking this action?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Everything I have is from OPM based on Me being 62 and eligible for SS. I just need to know if there is anyway to correct my mistake

Thanks
I do not believe so...the way that this is designed to work is the employee is to contact DFAS to waive their retired pay (if that is the desire). If you did not and have retired I fear it is too late

That said, I will opt out and allow other experts to weigh in on this if they have any insight

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you