Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My son is having suicidal thoughts and has been in hospital

Customer Question

my son is having suicidal thoughts and has been in hospital twice 1st time dr. said melinging? but 2nd time three agree it is not but man gentleman will not agree, there was alot of mental abuse by step father when he was young if somethings happens to him what rights does he have
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What do you mean what rights does he have? He has been evaluated in the hospitals, but what are they saying and has he sought a independent mental health evaluation? Please give us some more details.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

He has been going to group therapy there at hospital three of them think he needs medical discharge one does not seem to like or listen to him and want to send back and charge with malingering

Thank you for your reply.

He would need to have written reports from those doctors presented to his command. If his command determines they do not find the reports credible, then he would have to appeal the denial through the medical discharge review board. This means in most cases they will order another set of independent examinations of your son. Your son is entitled to assistance and representation from the JAG office and he should indeed get that representation to assist him through the process if he has the three doctors stating he has mental health issues requiring the discharge.