Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG

My sister is the widow of a WWII Army POW is she entitled to

Customer Question

My sister is the widow of a WWII Army POW is she entitled to any assistance from the VA? She currently in a nursing home and may be eligible to move into an assisted living place if she had the funds.
JA: The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Military Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Not aware of anything. I live in V
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Military Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. There are two possible VA monetary benefits that your sister may be eligible for because of her husband's Veteran status. They each have their own eligibility requirements. One such benefit is call Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC). It is not based on need, but just based on being eligible per the definition. The other is called a Survivors' Pension and it is based on financial need.

You can see the requirements for each and how she can apply by going to the following link:

Just click on the blue link on the page for each of the benefits I mentioned. It is generally just best if she just goes ahead and applies and lets the VA figure out if she is eligible.

There may also be a State based Veteran and their spouses assistance that she may qualify for as well. If you can tell me what State we lives in perhaps I can at least obtain the State Veteran services information or website for you.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 27th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.