P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

My daughter (20 years of age at the time) was sexually

Customer Question

My daughter (20 years of age at the time) was sexually assaulted by an active duty member temporarily assigned to our town. The Court Martial wrapped up last week and the jury found the member not guilty. The judge stated he would have convicted him. Navy Policy states there is no such thing as sexual consent under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. My daughter was taken to the barracks, after drinking (under age), and then when passed out she was sexually assaulted. Navy did nothing to protect my daughter, and have failed on several levels. Both the Government Lawyer and Judge believed the member should have been convicted (also married). This is a well documented case, and I did not initially want to take the civil route but the decision of the jury has changed our minds (4 of the 5 jury members were males). We want to take the civil route and are looking for a lawyer that has expertise in this field.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am very sorry to hear about this situation. What exactly are you asking here, i.e. what is your question? (Note that JustAnswer experts cannot take customers as clients - but I can help you find someone in FL via a referral service, for example.)