Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

Can a parent whip a child purposes in SC

Customer Question

Can a parent whip a child for discipline purposes in SC
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. Generally speaking parents, and those in the role of parent, have the legal right to discipline their children by using reasonable corporal punishment.
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
South Carolina also allows corporal punishment in schools:
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
A belt was used to discipline a 10 yr old boy for being disrespectful to his teacher. The mother asked the child's father to administer it and he did.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The belt left a bruise on the boys leg. The father apologized for the bruise. Both parents were satisfied. The behavior improved. But a family member heard about it and called DSS. Now the boy has no visitation with his father and is awaiting a hearing with a magistrate.
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
Ok. The line between corporal punishment and child abuse is whether the punishment was reasonable or not. Often, this is simply a judgment call.