P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I was convicted of extended AWOL in 1970, once discharged I

Customer Question

I was convicted of extended AWOL in 1970, once discharged I met the guidelines of the clemency discharge signed by Gerald Ford.
JA: OK. The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this. Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: I am in California now but was assigned to a base in New Mexico when I went AWOL and spent most of my incarceration in Colorado where I was discharged and where I satisfied the clemency requirements.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I did years ago approach the vets administration but was told I should use the clemency discharge as toilet paper and was led to believe I would not be eligible for any bebefits.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I have not had any legal problems in the civilian world as I am now 69 years old and have always wanted to pursue any resolution but....
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 10 months ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpAlso, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen. I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?