Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.

Question, have a friend that has sworn in second time, meps

Customer Question

question, have a friend that has sworn in second time, meps and is at airport to fly to basic. She is saying she has changed her mind and doesn't want to go to the army but wants to go to school to earn a nursing degree.
JA: OK. The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Military Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: no except she is having severe menst cramps and hasn't felt good for a week. She will be on a plane and gone in 40 minutes
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. Once you have done the second swearing in, into the active duty, you are in the military and leave at their pleasure. Not leaving now would constitute AWOL and would result in a negative discharge and possibly a punitive discharge through a court martial. Her opportunity to leave was prior to the second swearing in, where she could have decided not to join based on DOD policy. However, the second swearing in is her official entrance. I wish I could tell you differently here, but she's on the hook now and can only be separated based on a commander choosing to separate her. She can raise her medical issue once she arrives at in-processing, but chances are that that will just result in her being placed in a holding unit until she is better. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.
Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.