Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG

Prior to deploying two years ago I go a divorce and I subsequently

Customer Question

Prior to deploying two years ago I go a divorce and I subsequently remarried prior to deploying (roughly two month window). Prior to deploying I turned in my divorce decree and my marriage license to my personnel office and they said they would update everything. Well unfortunately it was never updated and I understand I will owe the military for roughly the two months that I was drawing BAH at the married rate. Any chance that I could be suspected of fraud or is it likely to be a case of I should have checked up on it upon returning from deployment and therefore just pay the amount owed and move on? Thank you very much
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 5 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question. If you have evidence that you provided the divorce decree and your marriage certificate to your Command admin, then there shouldn't be any issue about fraud. In other words, if you did all you could to get the change made, then you would only be required to pay back any overage that you were paid. There isn't any evidence of fraud in what you described. Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you
Hello again,I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 5th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good.If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox. In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: you.